On the 29th June, we held our ‘Disaster Recover’ event in conjunction with Bluecube Telecommunications at Doddington Hall in Lincoln. More than 40 businesses attended to learn about the importance of business continuity and to gain expert advice on how to prepare and effectively recover from a disaster.
The morning began with open networking with bacon rolls, followed by a welcome from Jerry Parker from SCS Technology Solutions. Our first insightful talk was from Stuart Pigram of the Trust Insurance Group on the ‘changing perception of risk’, followed by an extremely useful presentation from William Smith from Kingswood Continuity about the importance of a business continuity plan. The morning ended with a thought provoking talk by Paul Reames from Bluecube about why businesses can’t afford to be offline, and a Q&A session.
Some key insights that we have taken away from the event were:
- If you hold customer data, are reliant on computer systems to conduct business, have a website, or are subject to a PCI merchant services agreement, you need consider your cyber and data risks.
- Business Continuity Management is important to help you safeguard your organisation’s reputation, minimise downtime and financial loss, and to help dramatically increase your organisation’s recovery capabilities.
- Your business continuity plan should be a flexible recovery tool that is designed to deal with the impact of disruptive incidents, and should take into consideration both physical and digital risks.
- The top 3 threats to UK businesses are cyber-attacks, data breaches and unplanned IT and telecom outages.
- Call hacking costs the UK £1.2 billion each year and is rising by 15% year on year.
- No matter how good your internet service is, no ISP can guarantee keeping you online all the time, and a backup connection is hugely important to minimise downtime.
We are pleased to announce that feedback from the attendees was very positive, commenting that the presentations were all informative and interesting.
The morning ended with informal networking, giving attendees the chance to speak to the industry professionals. Below are the links to the companies who were involved in the event:
- SCS Technology Solutions (Specialist IT support, advice and solutions) – 0800 9520652
- Bluecube Telecommunications(Providers of telecommunication solutions) – 01522 717750
- Kingswood Continuity (Business Continuity Consultant) – 07792 331752
- The Trust Insurance Group (Insurance brokers and consultants) – 01476 434050
If you enjoyed the event, or would like more information about disaster recovery, please get in touch with us at SCS Technology on 0800 9520652 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to everyone who attended, we hope you found the event useful for your business.